Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Paris and I

Hello everyone!

I am abroad again for the summer and I thought I could easily let everyone know about my trip by starting up this blog again.

Last summer I was mumbling a little French in Morocco. This summer I am still mumbling French but now I am in Paris attempting to actually learn something! Tomorrow will be the end of my first week. My trip is a four week French language program through George Mason. After two years of language classes, I will finally satisfy my language requirement for my degree. And what better way than to do it in Paris?

I am taking classes through a Parisen institut and living in an international student hostel. I am living in what is called the Fifth Arrondissement. It is known for the nightlife and student population. There are several universities in the area and I constantly hear a number of different languages spoken on the street. I am living across the street from the Luxembourg gardens and just a brisk walk down the road from Notre Dame; the Louvre is walking distance (albeit a bit far) from our hostel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5th_arrondissement_of_Paris

As I wrap up my first week here in Paris, I make note of my first impressions. I haven't met any rude Parisens. Weird, eh? Everyone seems to be very friendly. Two friends and I even received assistance from random people on the street when we were struggling to carry our luggage up stairs and on sidewalks. In fact I was pleasantly surprised when we were treated with such kindness. The city is very clean and is always lively. One stereotype that seems to be true is that of the city of love... We have an ongoing count of couples we find kissing in public places. The count is at 13 today. I have seen a couple French poodles and lots of very French fashion. AND an average size block of brie cheese is only one euro! Amazing.

Since I have been here, I have been to the Louvre, walked around Notre Dame, and sat at a number of cafes. I have been to the Pantheon and into the Luxembourg gardens at least twice a day on school days. This upcoming weekend we have a walking tour of Paris planned, so I will surely see more of the city and I can't wait to explore more of this beautiful city.

Until then, I hope you are all doing well. Thank you for reading!




ps, hi natalie.

No comments:

Post a Comment